Birkenhead Priory is the oldest standing building in Merseyside, having been discovered in 1150, the monks of this Benedictine monastery looked after travellers for nearly 400 years! They also supervised the first ever regulated ‘Ferry cross the Mersey’ – Still going today!
The first Parish Church of Birkenhead, St Mary’s Church tower also shares the dedicated memorial site. The site is a memorial to those lost in the 1939 disaster aboard the Laird’s built sumbmarine, Thetis. Inside, a small museum tells the story of the site and the buildings, the chapter house and the chapel.
Now surrounded by factory units and the old Cammel Laird Shipyard next door, the Priory offers escapism. It is an oasis of calm in a busy world and offers unrivalled views of the river and surrounding area.
Visit their website to see details of their varied events calendar from educational conferences to open air theatres.